Inspire Me

By Cheri of From Out of the Cracks

“Earth laughs in flowers”. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Where does that creativity come from? What was the inspiration, the spark? Do you go somewhere to get inspired?

Here is our featured HandmadeMN artist Cindy Lindgren from Etsy shop Cindy Lindgren where she creates note cards and prints from graphic illustrations inspired by the Arts & Crafts Movement. You can also check Cindy out on her Facebook fan page.

Cindy’s graphic style of illustration was inspired by the Arts & Crafts Movement (1880-1920). Cindy says, “Craftsmen looked to nature around them for decorative art themes using native plants and flowers like poppies, pine cones, thistles and roses. Rather than reproducing realistic renderings, they eliminated detail and simplified them to abstract forms. This table linen, of floral embroidery is an example from Eastwood Gallery in St. Paul that specializes in American Arts & Crafts Antiques. It has many pieces whether it's linens, tiles or ceramics that I find inspiring.”


Cindy says, “Like the artists of that period such as William Morris, I prefer plants and flowers I can grow myself to draw from. I sketch the plant over and over until I find its essence in just a few graphic shapes. This Solomon's Seal note card is one example of my work showing how I use the plant's arch and leaves to create a flowing composition, repeat the berries and outline the shapes to help flatten the plant. I scan my drawings and create digital files using flat rich colors. I hope my work inspires you to check out the Arts & Crafts Movement and its rich history of decorative art.”