Inspire Me

By Cheri of From Out of the Cracks

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein

Where does that creativity come from? What was the inspiration, the spark? Do you go somewhere to get inspired?

Here is our featured HandmadeMN artist Lindsay Fox from Chickadeesigns where she creates fun, funky and chunky jewelry, mainly resin pieces with a mod flair. You can also check Lindsay out on her blog or Facebook Fan Page.

The thing that got Lindsay started making resin pendants was the never ending search to find the perfect necklace that would fit her style. Lindsay says, “Sure, there are lots of pieces out there…but I also have a pretty solid do-it-yourself streak in me, so just finding one very quickly became unsatisfactory…I had to create one! I’ve always been very drawn to bold colors and the bold outline type styles of mod/retro/pop art. My inspiration for the patterns I draw comes from various paper and fabric patterns I find that are along those lines. Once I get a feel for the image I want to create, I set about drawing it up in illustrator, then playing around with the colors and finally printing out the pattern(s) and casting them in resin to create my pendants.”

Lindsay says, “Because I make a double layer casting, my pendants are built “backwards” with the front of the pendant being created first then the image embedded in the second layer, all upside down so I can’t see the front of the pendant until all resin layers are set. This adds a bit to the fun because I never quite know if they are going to work out or if I’m going to have a giant air bubble ruining the whole thing until I pop them out of the mold and see the finished work…it’s a bit like Christmas morning for me opening up presents!”



For this particular piece, Lindsay's inspiration came from an iPod commercial where the music starts playing and these patterns start growing from the bottom of the screen. Lindsay says, "I took that idea and ran with it. For me, the pattern that grew from the bottom of the art is the brightly colored, mod feeling circles!"