Manga Spirits

Is anyone else fascinated with Manga artwork?  I confess that I am, and I've long wanted to create a doll with this kind of vibe.  And lately the idea has been circulating in my head of a doll that could be either knit or crocheted, and share a knit and crochet wardrobe. 

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to draw this doll, then create it!  I am definitely art-challenged in this respect, but I picked up a book at the library (which subsequently I've bought) entitled "Manga for the Beginner:  Chibi's"

This is a fun book, full of ideas and lots of help for any beginner.  The result for me is the four kids at the top of the page.  They are concept drawings of the next doll I plan to create.  A doll in either knit or crochet, with big eyes, wild hair, and sweet expressions.  A small doll, under nine inches tall, with a simple wardrobe.  Should be a lot of fun!

The doll will have the swing legs that the Spirit dolls have, and both knit and crochet will have a move-able head.  I'm going to try using buttons this time and see how that works.  No feet and simple hands.  This should be a wonderful doll for children, of all ages.

So stay tuned!