Getting to Know You: Amve Jewelry

By Anna from Seedling Design

This is a chance to get to know some of the members of HandmadeMN and a little bit more about what they make and do in their own words.
Today we are getting to know Andrea Marit Erickson from Amve Jewelry who lives in Burnsville.


What do you make and why? I make jewelry and rosaries.  It all started six years ago as a hobby which developed into a business after my first craft sale.  It was a successful sale and it occurred to me that I could sell my items on Etsy.  This year I learned to make rosaries and have added those to my site too.
Where do you do your making? My temporary workspace or office, as I like to call it, is the dining room table.  I need to clear it off for thanksgiving dinner, but it took days to arrange my space just right and it’ll take days to dismantle it all!  Someday I’ll get my own office- a proper office, but for right now the dining room table will do.


What is your favorite part of the process or a favorite tool? My favorite part of the process is choosing my beads.  I love going to my favorite bead stores and letting the beads “inspire me”.  So many pretty colors, shapes and textures!  I love them all!  My favorite materials are Dichroic glass, freshwater pearl and lampwork beads.  They all inspire me to create my jewelry and rosaries.  My second favorite part is when I complete a project and find that it has turned out perfectly.

What do you listen to or watch while you are working? I listen to Gregorian chant (chanted prayers in Latin) when I make rosaries.  Sometimes I listen to classical music.  I find it soothing to listen to music like that when I am working.


Tell us something else we don't know. I love to collect coins.  Every time I get a new coin from a cashier at a store or the bank or where ever: I always check to see if it’s a new quarter. In addition to collecting the new quarters, I’ve collected coins from every country I’ve visited: France, Spain, Italy, and Portugal.