Getting to Know You: Passion to Create

by Anna from Seedling Design

This is a chance to get to know some of the members of HandmadeMN and a little bit more about what they make and do in their own words.

Today we are getting to know BarbAnn Pappas of Passion to Create who blogs at passiontocreate and lives in the Minneapolis area.


What do you make and why? Currently I am making Shawl/Hair sticks out of gemstones and fallen carved wood.  I am a big knitter and I just couldn't find nice shawl sticks to compliment my hand knit garments – “Sticks and Stones” were born.  When I showed them to friends, they loved them and encouraged me to make more and sell them.

Where do you do your making? I am so lucky to have a studio in my home, since I work in many mediums and I dabble in lots of things; I need lots of storage and a work space that can be left undisturbed until I return. The walls of my studio are lime green and they make me smile when I walk in the room. I have attached a picture when it is neat and tidy – not often.

What is your favorite part of the process?
  I just love making something from raw materials.  I enjoy the creative process and get energized by it.  I like to see where the process will take me.  I am often stunned to realize that I could do it. I love fibers, beads, paper, wood, metal, and clay to name a few; and I use multiple materials at the same time.
What do you listen to or watch while you are working? I am a voracious audio book listener.  I listen to fiction and mainly historical fiction.  I loved the Outlander series, but also crime mysteries like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Tell us something else that we don't know about you. I am an educational administrator in my “real life” but I will be retiring in June 2012 and I can’t wait to unleash the pent up creativity! I currently am working in fiber and beads, but I have done decorative painting, I love to spin, and weave and I make dolls.