JELL-O Brain & JELL-O Worms {recipe / tutorial}

 I've finally found my brain...

only problem...it's on a platter and it's surrounded by blood worms!!!


How the heck did that happen?!?

Oh ya...I forgot...that one isn't mine!

That one is a JELL-O brain...and worms!
{come on now...don't act so surprised}

Wanna know how we made it?
Good, cause you know I'm gonna tell you.
We'll start with the brain!


I got the mold for FREE!  Yup...you read that right!  FREE!!!
You can too...all you have to do is pay the S&H!  Go here for details.


I got the recipe in the book that came with the mold.

{things that make DIVA go hmmmm...}



All you need is:

The mold
12 oz. of Peach JELL-o
{either 4 3 oz pkgs or 2 6 oz pkgs)
1 5oz. evaporated milk
1 3/4 cups boiling water
3/4 cup cold water




Have your little helper pour out the JELL-O mixture in a medium sized bowl.



Boil 1 3/4 cups of water and add to the JELL-O and mix for about two minutes {until completely dissolved}



If you were silly like me, and bought the bigger can of evaporated milk, than measure out 5 oz.

Did y'all even know they had a can that small?  Not me...not until I was told by mi madre!

Note - I did this while DIVA was stirring the boiling water in.

When all is dissolved, add 3/4 cups of cold water and the 5 oz. of milk.  Stir for about a minute.



Oh ya...don't forget to clean your mold before using and spray with PAM before pouring the JELL-O in.

Note - I did this step while DIVA was stirring the milk/water mixture in.


Pour mixture into mold.

I highly suggest having someone help you with this.  The mold is a little flimsy!


I lucked out and the same bowl I mixed the JELL-O in was just the right size to hold the mold.  You'll want something like this to hold the mold upright as there is not a flat base on the other side.









Place in refrigerator and let sit for 3 hours or until it gets firm.

Listen patiently to your helper as she asks continuously if the brain is ready yet?!?  Is the brain ready yet?!?  Now?!?  Can we take the brain out now??  In my case, I left in the fridge overnight.  And when DIVA woke up, before she wanted to eat breakfast, she asked again if the brain was ready yet?!?



Take mold out of the fridge, checking first to see if it's firm to the touch, and pull out of bowl {or whatever you've placed it in}.

To remove the JELL-O from the mold, hold it in hot water for about 30 seconds.  You'll have to just wing this one...I knew it was ready when I could pull the mold away from the edge of the JELL-O.



Flip over onto your plate or stand {I used wax paper because my pedestal is wood} and slap the brain a few times to loosen the top.












Pull mold from JELL-O and voila!  You have a sort of realistic looking brain.

 
Now onto the blood worms.  

There is a recipe for worms in the same book that came with the mold, however, I chose to use one from one of my favorite bloggers...

You'll need:

6 oz. of raspberry JELL-O 
3 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin
3 cups boiling water
3/4 cup whipping cream
12-15 drops green food coloring
Straws


Combine gelatins and boiling water in a bowl.  Stir until dissolved.  Let sit for about 20 minutes or until lukewarm.




Meanwhile, pull out your straws.  The stretchy ones make more realistic looking worms.  Stretch the straws to their full length and put the bendy part at the bottom of your glass.

Wrap a rubber band around the straws {loosely} to help hold them in place.


Stir milk with food coloring and JELL-O together.



The mixture should look something like this. 
Pour mixture into glasses with straws.  I thought the straws would lift as I poured but surprisingly they stayed in place.




Refrigerate....overnight...next to the brain!












Once firm, pull straws out.


Run straws under warm water for just a few seconds and then squeeze JELL-O out.  This was not an easy task but they turned out great!

{sorry, I didn't get a pic of this step}

Once you have all the worms squeezed out place them around your brain and your done!


Now all you have to do is...


show the ZOMBIES!!!

and watch them DEVOUR the goods!!!




CrAzY for brains...



These kids cracked me up...they LOVE to eat wormy brains...


He wanted it all to himself...


No more brain...
No more worms...
Full bellies...