Angel Cake, a Strawberry Shortcake friend

Sometimes it is fun to make someone else's pattern :-)   I have to thank Susan (aka BlueEyedGirl) for inspiring me to make this pattern, which I've had for several years.  I loved the way the dolls looked, but there were a lot of things I didn't like about the construction of the doll.  Susan reminded me that, if you don't like it, change it!

So, on her advice, I used an 'E' hook instead of 'G'  for the doll body, and used acrylic eyes instead of making them from felt (except for the whites).  This made my doll 10 inches tall, instead of 14.


Other changes I made to this pattern were to give the doll a wig cap, instead of attaching the hair to the hat, and also jointing the neck and arms.  To joint the neck, you need to work the pattern 'backward.'  That is, start the head at the neck edge (instead of the top of the head), and work the body starting at the neck (instead of the feet).   Her head is a bit too floppy, so instead of working three rounds of 10sc for the neck, next time I will only work two.

I also hinged the legs the way the Pocket Spirits are done, so this means the entire body from neck to feet is worked backward.

Her clothing is removable, but believe it or not, by using two hook sizes smaller for each part of the doll, the clothing patterns fit beautifully.  Instead of working the t-shirt in rounds, work them in rows and add buttons and button loops to the back.

I like her so well, I will probably make her a friend, if not all of them!  Thank you, Susan, for the great suggestions and your wonderful doll (See her here).

Enjoy the crochet!