Inspire Me

by Cheri of From Out of the Cracks

“The good old days are good and gone. That’s why they’re good, because they’re gone.” - Loudon Wainwright

Where does that creativity come from? What was the inspiration, the spark? Do you go somewhere to get inspired?

Here is our featured HandmadeMN artist Sara Werzel from Auntie B Online, an online shop providing you with magnets, drink charms, candles, and when the mood strikes, miscellaneous ephemera. You can also check out Sara on her Auntie B’s Wax blog, facebook and twitter.

Sara says, "What inspires me? Nostalgia. I’m old enough now where I remember the good old days, and like most mature people I romanticize them to death. I find comfort in the days of my youth, and the days of generations before me ~ simpler times when people read books with pages made of actual paper and movies stars were glamorous.


My beeswax candles hearken back to the days before electricity. My scented candles remind me of carnivals, flower gardens, grandma’s kitchen, and Christmases filled with goodies and the belief in Santa.





My pulp fiction magnets take me back to the pile of smutty books my grandma kept beside her reading chair.


My bottle cap magnets have images of days gone by, children's book illustrations, and purity represented by something as simple as a red apple. My drink charms take me back to the golden age of Hollywood and vintage TV. That others smile and laugh at the memories I provide also inspires me ~ I like knowing they love the good old days too."