Eight Questions with...Heidi Eberle

Meet Heidi Eberle of Andover, MN. Heidi is busy with her family that includes her husband, 2 daughters (12 and 25) and two dogs (Golden Doodle and a Shitzu-Poo). She is currently unemployed but was a Project Manger for a large company specializing in Retail Security Technologies until being laid off in Feb. 2009 - she had been in that industry for 18+ years. You can find Heidi on her two Etsy shops Water Nymph & The Mermaid's Dowery or her blog Fancies Musings and Whimsies.

1. What types of items do you sell in your store?

I have two shops - In my handmade shop I sell one of a Kind Jewelry that incorporates lots of vintage style brass, vintage components and semi precious stones.

I also have a supplies shop filled with raw brass findings, chain and vintage components for Artsits and Designers.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Vintage photos, my antique doll collection and my collection and love of antique Arts and Crafts era jewelry.

3. Do you have a specific space where you do most of your work?

I do have a studio room however I always have things in some state of completion all over the house.

4. When did you first start crafting?

I can't remember ever not being creative. My mother taught us at very young ages (pre-school / kindergarten) to knit, crochet, sew and embroider - she was always creating beautiful things. My Mother sewed all of our clothes and costumes and knitted all of our hats, mittens and scarves as kids. I don't think we appreciated as much then as we would now. When we played "School" as kids and I was the Teacher - it was always "Art" class because that was always my favorite.

My mother saved everything and I still have a box of things I made in Kindergarten that I make a point to pull out and go through once in awhile just for the nostalgia. Suprisingly, I can actually remember making some of this stuff! I have continued this tradition with my own kids and they were/are prolific creators so we have lots of boxes of wonderful treasures - and we do sit down and look through them often.

5. Do you do any crafts or art beyond what you sell?

Yes, I do everything I mentioned above but I don't sell any of it with the exception of a few crocheted items (overflow). I also do assembedge art, altered books, write poetry, draw and paint.

6. What are your favorite places to buy supplies?

I can buy most everything wholesale but I love the touchy-feely experience of actually walking into a place and shopping so besides my wholesale suppliers ......... on a local level, I love Antique shops in Anoka and Elk River, farm auctions, JoAnns, Dick Blick, Michaels, Veberod Gem Gallery, Twin Cities Bead Bazzar (Fall and Spring shows), Beadbury in Osseo, Garden of Beads in Anoka, the antiques section of "Down Home Stained Glass" in Anoka (can you tell I like to shop locally?) I also hit country Antique shops when we travel, there are many along the roads and byways of Minnesota and no matter where I am, I am always keeping my eyes open for treasures which are often found in unexpected places. Last but not least - I love dragging my hubby to Ax-man, it's a great day date that we both enjoy!

7. What is the best thing you've ever done to promote your etsy store?

To be honest, I have not done anything special to promote either store. I do find that my handmade shop has picked up since I have been continually producing and listing new items - this shop was on the back burner and did not get much attention while I was working full time at a day job. When I made something, I would list it but it was very inconsistent. My findings shop has luckily taken on a life of it's own. I am fortunate to have strong sales and repeat customers, many of whom are international buyers. The key in the supplies shop is quality, uniqueness in selection, variety and offering lots of options and always adding new items to the mix.

8. What other etsy store(s) do you really like?

I would run out of room if I listed them all but ones I keep returning to or have purchased from are: pinkflamingo61, TimelessVixenVintage, BigDaddyO, subrosa123, vintageopulence, KitLane, Itkupilli, rubypearl, ravenwolf, otherpeoplesflowers, LaCamelot, idolatre, lovedtodeath, oneifbyhand, dippylulu, awesomeart, kerrykate, dolldisasterdesign, catholicguilt, pinksupply, TotusMel, marytofts, LucysLocket - and I am finding more wonderful shops everyday. Feel free to browse my favorites in both shops!