Inspire Me

by Cheri of From Out of the Cracks

“I can always be distracted by love, but eventually I get horny for my creativity.” - Gilda Radner

Where does that creativity come from? What was the inspiration, the spark? Do you go somewhere to get inspired?

Here is our featured HandmadeMN artist Regan K. Saunders of Regan’s Brain. Regan says, “my shop is a collaboration between me and my brain. It's filled with odds and ends and most people won't understand, but it makes perfect sense to me.” You can also check Regan out on her Facebook fan page.

Regan says, “I was having a conversation with my "brain" one day, explaining that I wanted to start selling pillows in my Etsy shop. I just didn't know what kind of pillows to make. His response was, "You should make an Edgar Allan Pillow! Or a Henry David Thoreau Pillow! Get it…throw pillow? Seeing that Mr. Thoreau was a less than attractive man, the Poe pillow was created.”




“I had read a lot of Poe in my early adolescence, and felt that the pillow needed to have a dark, eerie feel to it. Using the most famous portrait of Poe I created his image from felt, making it seem as if he were staring at you from all corners of the room (extra creepy!!!). I chose gray for the fabric of the pillow because... well... what other color would work? Gray has that "fog" feeling to it and I felt it best represented Poe's Gothic style.”